Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Abroad

Thanksgiving is a time to gather with family around a very large cooked bird to give thanks for what we have.  Thanksgiving also happens to be my favorite holiday, as it is unmaterialistic, brings people together, and is all about delicious food!  Before this past Thursday, I was really scared that it was going to be a hard day for me, because of what it symbolizes.  But it was actually quite fun!  We had a thanksgiving dinner at which we weren't required to speak Spanish, and ate turkey, great stuffing, cranberry sauce, and peas.  It was a really wonderful night.  It was formal, and at a great restaurant near school.  I was not incredibly homesick, mostly happy to be eating food that I was guaranteed to like.  
I also got to spend time with some of my best friends.  It was a very nice night.
However, tonight is not as pleasant.  The neighbors are over, and there is a lot of squeaky recorder playing, along with guttural crying and screaming.  I'm going to retreat back to my iPod, and to Symphony No. 104 in D Major "London": IV. Finale: Spiritoso.  Boy am I lucky to have just one younger brother at home.  

No comments: